Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Class Post 9/4

I really love this video. My fifth grade class is reading Wonder ,a story about a young boy who was born with a facial deformity. Before starting the book, I showed this video first. It was perfect! The video is all about being brave enough to be yourself. August, the young boy from Wonder, is starting fifth grade and going to school for the first time. He had been home-schooled, but his parents decide that he is old enough to deal with society. He has to be brave enough to face the world and strong enough to not care what others say. Watch the video and tell me what you think!

7 comments:

  1. Wonder is such a great book! Every age can learn from August's story. I am really interested in viewing your video. Attached is a link to another video that I have used in my class.
    http://fabulous5thgrd.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the video! It is so important to empower kids to be themselves, take risks and have fun! I have not read Wonder, but I am thinking I need to pick it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great video!!! I think it sends an important message!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let us know how your students react to Wonder. I keep hearing "wonderful" things about it, and it has been on the children's best sellers list in the number one spot for a long time. For slightly older students, The Fault in Our Stars, by John Green, the number one best seller for young adults, is another great find.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The power of a song can really move people. Now that I've heard the words I can understand why it can be an effective way to introduce the story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great example of how we take for granted the things in the world around us. I had heard that song all summer, but never actually stopped to listen to the words. Watching the video allowed me to hear the lyrics for the first time. I'm definitely going to play this for my students as a part of our inspirational video lineup. I'm also going to have to start searching music videos more regularly. Never thought of it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Following is a link for a book trailer for Wonder. I have used this in my classroom.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOXDD3atWco&list=PLF4692CA66CE3386E&index=2

    ReplyDelete